Lodging Facilities

St. Croix County Public Health is an agent of State of WI Department of Agriculture, Trade, & Consumer Protection (DATCP) for ATCP 72 Hotel/Motel/Tourist Rooming House Code and ATCP 73 Bed and Breakfast Code licensing and inspecting the following licensing types.

To submit a plan review or license application go to:  License and Inspections


"Hotel" means a place where sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to transients, in 5 or more rooms, and all related rooms, buildings and areas.


"Motel" means a hotel that furnishes on-premise parking for motor vehicles of guests as part of the room charge, without extra cost, and that is identified as a "motel" rather than a "hotel" at the request of the operator.

Tourist Rooming House

"Tourist rooming house" means all lodging places and tourist cabins and cottages, other than hotels and motels, in which sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or transients. It does not include private boarding or rooming houses not accommodating tourists or transients, or bed and breakfast establishments.

Bed & Breakfast Establishment

"Bed and breakfast establishment" means any place of lodging that provides 8 or fewer rooms for rent to no more than a total of 20 tourists or other transients for more than 10 nights in a 12-month period, is the owner's personal residence, is occupied by the owner at the time of rental, and in which the only meal served to guests is breakfast.