New Way to Schedule Your Appointment
In an effort to streamline our processes and better serve our citizens, the St. Croix County Community Development Department would like to invite you to schedule sanitary inspections and office appointments with our staff at the link below. While we encourage the use of this new scheduling software, you may still contact us at 715-386-4680 to schedule an inspection, appointment, or for general questions.
Permits & Information
A State Sanitary Permit is required for the installation of a private on-site wastewater treatment system (POWTS). A County Sanitary Permit is required for the repair, reconnection or rejuvenation of a POWTS or for the installation of a non-plumbing sanitation (i.e. privy, composting toilet, etc.)
A Sanitary Permit is required prior to obtaining a building permit from Town Staff. A Sanitary Permit may only be submitted by a licensed plumber. Staff will conduct at least one inspection for all work requiring a sanitary permit.
St. Croix County uses Ascent Permit Management System for storing and viewing existing zoning and sanitary records. This allows users to lookup information on permits on file throughout the County.
The proper maintenance of a POWTS is essentially to ensure the longevity of your private sewage system and to avoid premature failure.
- As a property owner, you are required to properly maintain your septic system. To assist you, St. Croix County requires a Sanitary System Ownership/Address Form be submitted with your sanitary application by your plumber/contractor. Once approved, this completed form and educational information will be sent to you by email.
If you would like to view your issued sanitary permit, you can do so by clicking on the Property Files Scanned link in the Quick Links section below.
Why am I getting this postcard to have my septic pumped?
You are receiving a card because the Community Development Dept has been given a mandate (June 2005) by the State of Wisconsin to accurately keep a record of the maintenance on all private wastewater treatment systems (septic systems) in St. Croix County. Prior to the 2005 mandate, the property owner(s) were responsible to keep the system maintained. The State law has been in effect since 1981.
St. Croix County uses Ascent Permit Management System for storing and viewing existing zoning and sanitary records. This allows users to lookup information and maintenance records on their property.
Septic systems are required to be properly inspected or pumped every 3 years. Inspections may be conducted by a master plumber, POWTS inspector, septage servicing operator, or POWTS maintainer.
- 1 Trench Conventional Cross Section (PDF)
- 2 Trench Conventional Cross Section (PDF)
- 3 Trench Conventional Cross Section (PDF)
- Certified Soil Testers Contact List (PDF)
- Combo Tank Cross Section (PDF)
- Conventional Index - Title Page (PDF)
- County Application (PDF)
- Excavators Contact List (PDF)
- Existing Septic Tank Certification (PDF)
- How do Search Laserfiche sanitary and soil reports (PDF)
- Maintenance Reporting Form (PDF)
- Plumbers Contact Listing (PDF)
- POWTS Owners Manual and Management Plan (PDF)
- Pumpers (PDF)
- Sanitary Application Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- Sanitary Permit (PDF)
- Sanitary System Ownership/Address Form (PDF)
- Soil Absorption Form (PDF)
- Soil Evaluation Report (PDF)
- Surveyors and Engineers (PDF)