Guardianship proceedings for an adult or a minor are filed in the Register in Probate office.
You may seek the advice of an attorney at any time during the guardianship process.
- Procedure guidelines and forms are available online or from the Probate office for temporary and/or permanent guardianship of a minor or an adult.
- If a temporary guardianship is ordered, it is in effect for up to 60 days with the potential for the court to extend the temporary guardianship an additional 60 days for a total of 120 days.
- If a permanent guardianship is ordered, it is in effect until the court terminates the guardianship.
- Choose the guardianship proceeding your situation requires. Complete the forms listed in the procedure guideline to open/start a guardianship proceeding.
- File the completed forms with the Register in Probate office.
- Continue to follow the procedure guideline.
- After the court hearing, additional information will be provided to the court appointed guardian.
- Guardians have yearly reporting requirements with the court.