Guardianship proceedings for an adult or a minor are filed in the Register in Probate office.

You may seek the advice of an attorney at any time during the guardianship process.

Guardianship Process

  • Procedure guidelines and forms are available online or from the Probate office for temporary and/or permanent guardianship of a minor or an adult.
  • Choose the guardianship proceeding your situation requires.  Complete the forms listed in the procedure guideline to open/start a guardianship proceeding.
  • File the completed forms with the Register in Probate office.
  • Continue to follow the procedure guideline.
  • After the court hearing, additional information will be provided to the court appointed guardian.
  • Guardians have yearly reporting requirements with the court.

Additional Resources