How to Change Your Deed to Reflect Your New Name

This question is more complex than it seems at first.  In its simplest form, you are not required to take any action.  When you sell the property at some point in the future, simply indicate on the deed, for example: “Mary Smith, NKA (now known as) Mary Jones hereby grants…etc.”

Wisconsin's Marital Property Law

However, there are many other details that impact the answer to this question. The most important of which is Wisconsin’s Marital Property law. This law assumes that property used by a couple during the course of a marriage is jointly owned unless specified otherwise.

Remain Sole Owner

If you wish to remain the sole owner of the property and do not intend to convey any interest in the property to your spouse, steps must be taken prior to and during the marriage to assure that this occurs.

Sharing Ownership

If, however, you intend for your spouse to share in the ownership of the property, there are a number of ways a married couple can hold title to property and each one has distinct legal implications. Depending on your financial status, age and other factors, a trust might even be advisable.

Help from an Attorney

As you can see, it is best to seek the help of an attorney to draft a deed that will accomplish your goals.