St. Croix County provides free environmental education programs and training opportunities and a wide variety of resources are available to schools and organizations working with residents in the county.
St. Croix County has developed a number of presentations on environmental topics. These presentations are tailored for different age groups and time limits. They include, but are not limited to:
- Birds of St. Croix County
- Groundwater Quality
- Rocks and Geology of St. Croix County
- Soils and Soil Erosion
- Surface Water Quality
- The Watershed Game (High School)
- WI Habitats: Prairie, Wetlands, or Woodlands
Bring your students outside to learn about the environment. Students rotate between stations at a local park or school. Topics include those listed under the classroom presentations.
Stream Ecology Workshops
Work in a local stream or river and test water quality. Students rotate between stations and test for flow rate, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, nutrients and macro-invertebrates.
Stream Monitoring-Water Action Volunteers
- Staff can assist you with stream monitoring training and finding a sampling location
- Water Monitoring Website
Conservation Speaking Contest
Students, 5th-12th grade, research and present a speech on a local conservation topic.
Winners of the County Contests may move on to Area and State Contests.
Conservation Poster Contest
Students research and design a poster based on a conservation theme. Open to students K-12.
Wisconsin's ultimate high school environmental science competition.
Conservation Camp & Scholarships
St. Croix County provides two scholarships for the state youth conservation camps.
Environmental Displays & Models
Educational models and kits can be checked out by educators (both formal and informal) for use in environmental education lessons or as displays at events.
- Enviroscape-watershed model
- Forest Health Kit
- Gecko GPS units
- Groundwater model
- Septic display
Conservation Groups in St. Croix County
- Ducks Unlimited
- Friends of the Apple
- Friends of Perch Lake
- Friends of Willow River and Kinnickinnic State Park
- Kinnickinnic Land Trust
- Pheasant's Forever
- Prairie Enthusiasts
- St. Croix County Sportsmen's Alliance
- Star Prairie Fish and Game
- Star Prairie Land Preservation Trust
- Trout Unlimited Kiap-TU-Wish Chapter
- Upper Willow River Rehabilitation District
- Willow River Rod and Gun
- Bass Lake Rehabilitation District
- Cedar Lake Protection and Rehabilitation District
- Lake Mallalieu Association
- Perch Lake Association
- Pine Lake Association
- Squaw Lake Rehabilitation and Management District
Federal Conservation Websites
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Forest Service
- National Park Service
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- St. Croix Wetland Management District
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Geological Survey