Marriage License Information

The St. Croix County Clerk’s office is issuing Marriage Licenses by APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Call the County Clerk’s office at 715-386-4607 or 715-386-4608 to schedule an appointment. Appointments will be scheduled between the hours of 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). 

Allow 30 to 45 minutes to complete the application. Due to Government Center security, applicants arriving late may be declined.


  • Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license
  • Required documents must be presented at the time of application (see detailed information below)
  • Application fee of $100 is due at the time of application-cash or check only (no debit or credit cards) and is nonrefundable

If you are married and were married in Wisconsin, contact a Wisconsin Register of Deeds office to obtain a certified copy of your marriage license.

Where to Apply

A Wisconsin resident who will be getting married in Wisconsin must apply for a marriage license at the County Clerk’s office in the county which one of the applicants has been living for the last 30 days. The license will be valid anywhere in Wisconsin.

If you are getting married in Wisconsin, but neither of the applicants has lived in Wisconsin for the past 30 days, you must apply for the license at the County Clerk’s office in the county where the marriage will take place.

When to Apply - Waiver of Waiting Period

The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance. There is a 5-day waiting period following the date of application. This means that the applicants must apply for the license at least six (6) days prior to the date of the wedding, and no more than 30 days before the date of the wedding to meet the requirements of state law. 

In some instances, a waiver of the waiting period may be granted at the discretion of the County Clerk, due to unusual circumstances. The fee for said waiver is $10. Waivers will not be granted to anyone under the age of 18. Our office is not open Saturdays or Sundays, so please account for that time when applying.

If the marriage does not occur within the 30-day period, a new license must be obtained and fees collected again. 

Age Requirement

You must be 16 years of age to marry in the state of Wisconsin. Applicants under 18 years of age must have written consent from either parents or guardians, the custodian as defined by law, or the parent having the actual care, custody, and control of the person. The written consent must be given before the County Clerk under oath. Persons signing the consent form must present valid identification for themselves - a photo ID is preferred.

Certified Birth Certificate

Applicants must present a Certified Birth Certificate at the time of application. Certified birth certificates typically have a raised seal or are printed on security paper; if you do not have a certified birth certificate they are available at the Register of Deeds office in the County or State in which you were born. If you were born in Wisconsin, contact a Wisconsin Register of Deeds office to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate. Hospital Certificates and Notification of Birth Registration forms are not legal documents and are not acceptable.

Proof of Residence & Identification

Proof of current address is required at the time of application. Your current address is where you have physically lived for the past 30 days, a post office box is not acceptable. Acceptable proof would be a driver’s license, lease, utility statement, telephone bill, or other posted mail that must be over 30 days old.

Both applicants must apply in person and present a valid photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, alien card or a school ID.

Marital Status

If either party has had a previous marriage Wisconsin law requires the document of how the last marriage ended, regardless of how long it’s been since it had ended. If by death, a certified death certificate is needed. If by divorce, the judgment of divorce signed by the judge is required. The print out from CCAP is not acceptable. If by legal annulment a certified copy of the legal annulment. An annulment issued by a church or religious organization is not a legal annulment and is not acceptable.

If last marriage ended due to divorce: the divorce must be final for at least 6 months before either party can be married regardless of where the judgment took place.  A marriage license will not be issued before the 6 month period has expired.


The cost of a marriage license in St. Croix County is $100. This must be paid in cash or check. We do not accept credit or debit cards. Payment is due upon application and is nonrefundable.


Some items of information are strictly confidential and collected for statistical purposes only. In addition, your current address is also confidential information, but it can be released to law enforcement officers who present a written request.

Applicants are required to supply the following information:

  • State or County Certified Birth Certificates
  • Photo ID and Proof of Residency
  • The county and municipality in which you reside
  • Date of Wedding
  • County and City, Village or Township which your marriage will be held
  • Social Security Number (confidential) do not need to see the physical card
  • Last Previous Marriage Documents, if applicable (see Marital Status)
  • Name, Address and Phone Number of the person performing the ceremony
  • Parents’ full names (this includes the middle names and mothers’ maiden name)
  • $100 application fee; cash or check only (if request to waive 5-day waiting period is granted, the fee is $110)

Document Translation and Interpreters

Any required documents in a language other than English must be translated to English with a notarized English translation. The translation cannot be done by the parties themselves or by a relative or friend of either party. Couples must make their own arrangements prior to applying for the license.

If one or both of the applicants do not speak English, a third party needs to be present to interpret at the time of application.  Couples cannot translate for each other.

Wedding Officiants

Wedding Officiants (including officiants ordained online), do not need to register with this office in order to perform ceremonies in St. Croix County. Please provide the couple with your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. This information is necessary at the time of application.

Additional information from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services for Marriage Applicants and Officiants

*Who Can Perform a Marriage Ceremony

Wis. Stats. 765.16: Marriage contract, how made; officiating person.

  • (1m) Marriage may be validly solemnized and contracted in this state only after a marriage license has been issued therefor, and only by the mutual declarations of the 2 parties to be joined in the marriage that they take each other as husband and wife, made before an authorized officiating person and in the presence of at least 2 competent adult witnesses other than the officiating person. The following are authorized to be officiating persons:
  • (a) Any ordained member of the clergy of any religious denomination or society who continues to be an ordained member of the clergy.
  • (b) Any licentiate of a denominational body or an appointee of any bishop serving as the regular member of the clergy of any church of the denomination to which the member of the clergy belongs, if not restrained from so doing by the discipline of the church or denomination.
  • (c) The 2 parties themselves, by mutual declarations, that they take each other as husband and wife, in accordance with the customs, rules and regulations of any religious society, denomination or sect to which either of the parties may belong.
  • (d) Any judge of a court of record or a reserve judge appointed under s. 753.075.
  • (e) Any circuit court commissioner appointed under SCR 75.02 (1) or supplemental court commissioner appointed under s. 757.675 (1).
  • (f) Any municipal judge.
  • (2m) An officiating person under sub. (1m) (a), (b), (d), (e), or (f) must be at least 18 years old.

*Couples are responsible for determining their chosen officiant is compliant with Wisconsin State Statutes. Couples must determine whether or not they meet the statutory requirement for self-marriage.  If couples have questions regarding the legality of their officiant or self-marriage, contact legal counsel.  

Court Commissioners in St. Croix County Who Conduct Civil Marriage Ceremonies 

Timothy Heckmann
St. Croix County Government Center
1101 Carmichael Road
Hudson, WI 54016
Phone: 715-386-4615
Cell: 651-983-7290
Email Timothy Heckmann

Teresa Baier
Attorney at Law
1008 Cardinal Circle
Hudson WI 54016
Phone: 715-381-2812

Samuel R. Cari
Heywood and Cari
816 Dominion Drive
Hudson, WI 54016
Office: 715-386-5551

Stephen J. Dunlap
Office: 715-386-4614
Email Stephen J. Dunlap

Robert Wertheimer
Wertheimer Law Offices
516 Second Street
Suite 103
Hudson WI 54016
Office Phone: 800-451-3826

Applying for a License

If you meet the requirements for applying in St. Croix County apply at:
County Clerk’s Office
St. Croix County Government Center
1101 Carmichael Road, Suite 1400
Hudson, WI 54016
Phone: 715-386-4607 or 715-386-4608