What are the structure setbacks for my property?

A structure setback is a requirement in a Zoning Code that specifies the minimum distance that a building/structure must be set back from the property lines, structures, and natural features. Setback requirements are intended to provide space to ensure that structures are located in a way that is safe and visually appealing. They can also help to preserve natural features of the land, such as bodies of water, vegetation, slopes or wetlands, and to provide adequate light and air circulation around buildings. Setback requirements vary depending on the zoning district and the type of structure being constructed.

Once you have located your property on St. Croix County's Interactive Zoning Map and identified the zoning classification, you can find the general building setbacks under the corresponding Zoning District in Chapter 15 of the St. Croix County Code of Ordinances. Setbacks may also be different if there are any other overlay zoning districts, such as Shoreland, Floodplain, or the Lower St. Croix Riverway. In addition, depending on the use of the proposed building, setback may also vary. Setback may also be recorded on the plat or certified survey map of the property.

Contact our Land Use Team with questions you have on setbacks for your property. If you have a question about zoning or setbacks email us at CDD@sccwi.gov with your name, contact information, property address or parcel ID number, and your question. We will contact you regarding your question.

Back to the Land Use and Zoning Page

Show All Answers

1. What is the purpose of the Zoning Code?
2. Does St. Croix County zoning apply to my property?
3. What is my property zoning classification? Where can I find a zoning map?
4. Where can I find the County’s Zoning Code?
5. What are the structure setbacks for my property?
6. Where can I find my property documents, plat maps, certified survey maps, easements, deeds, and affidavits?
7. What can I build? What use is allowed in my zoning?
8. Do I need a permit for the use or development of my property?
9. How do I apply for a Land Use Permit, Conditional Use Permit, Variance, Rezoning, Setback Waiver, and Land Division?
10. Is my property within a Shoreland, Riverway, or Floodplain Overlay District? What is the purpose of these Overlay Districts?
11. I want to build/develop on my property and it’s within a Shoreland, Riverway, and/or Floodplain Overlay District, who should I contact?
12. Where can I find my sanitation records? Has there been a soil test already been done on the property?
13. My sanitary system is failing, who should I contact?
14. Why am I getting this postcard to have my septic pumped?
15. How many animals can I have on my property?
16. Does St. Croix County issue Building Permits?
17. My question wasn’t answered. Who can I ask?