What is the County doing about the weeds?

Noxious Weeds

The Department strives to kill all noxious weeds within the County ROW upon discovery. Under Wisconsin §66.0407 - Noxious weeds are defined as Canada thistle, leafy spurge, field bindweed, any weed designated as a noxious weed by the department of natural resources by rule, and any other weed the governing body of any municipality or the county board of any county by ordinance or resolution declares to be noxious within its respective boundaries.

Invasive Species

Various groups (WisDOT, WCHA, DNR, etc.) are developing “Best Management Practices” to guide local units of government in Wisconsin with identifying and controlling invasive plant species in the right-of-way as well as to educate and inform land owners. These practices will appear odd to the traveling public as there will be areas of the ROW that will be treated differently than the surrounding ROW with regard to mowing, cutting, and height of vegetation due to the preventative measures needed to accomplish these BMP goals.

Herbicide Spraying

St. Croix County has acknowledged a need to initiate a higher level of maintenance regarding rural roadside vegetation management, primarily the eradication of noxious invasive plant species.

Invasive species within the road right-of-way and adjacent properties can pose significant health risks to highway workers, utility workers, emergency responders, and anyone else utilizing the right-of-way. Staff has been trained and certified in applying EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) certified herbicides.Crews spray these areas to help control and eradicate Wild Parsnip and other harmful invasive weed species in late April or early May. The window of opportunity will be dictated by weather. These herbicides are plant specific and will not hurt native plants. This means that grasses, milkweed, and other native plants will flourish, helping our wildlife and pollinators. Our intention is to spray all County roads and State roads from State Highway 65 to the east. St. Croix County will also spray invasive vegetation at the request of the Towns.

Organic growers are encouraged to contact the St. Croix County Highway office with concerns and questions regarding this program.

If you have any questions, please contact the Highway Department at (715) 245-4200.

Herbicide formula to be used:

HerbicideEPA Reg #Active IngredientApplication Rate




4 Oz/Acre




2.5 Oz/Acre




1.5 Pt/Acre



(Drift Control)

3.5 Oz/Acre

Show All Answers

1. How do I report a dead deer?
2. How do I apply for a position at the Highway Department?
3. What is the County doing about the weeds?
4. Who do I contact if a rock hits my windshield?
5. Is there County Tourist Orientated Directional Sign program?
6. May I plant in the County Highway Right of Way?
7. Where do I place my refuse (garbage and recycle) container on pick up day?
8. What happens if agricultural equipment damages a road?
9. Who do I call if the snowplow hits my mailbox?
10. What are the guidelines for temporary signs along a roadway?
11. May I push snow over the road?